Monday, May 21, 2007

Lucky Me!

A few months ago, I received a quite generous offer to help an off-shore investor looking to invest in the US (which I naturally blogged about: Spam Scam Artistry).

And just the other day I received an e-mail informing me that I am a winner of the British Charities Lottery "Mega Jackpot Lotto Winning Programs." My "company or personal e-mail address is attached" to a ticket that drew the Lucky Winning Number of 06-14-17-28-30-41. I don't remember actually entering a British Charities Lottery. And I think the last time I was in England was for a one day business trip in 1999, the highlight of which was taking the day flight from Boston to London. And I did feel all kinds of high-powered jet set by spending just one night in some very nice London suburb before jetting home.

But somebody over there must love me - at least enough to attach my personal e-mail address to a Lucky Winning Number. And if I de-compose the winning number, it actually is a number I could have chosen. 06-14-17-28-30-41. Surely, it can't be just a coincidence that I have actually experienced each of the ages associated with each of these numbers, and I'm sure if I thought about it I could come up with a lucky something-or-other that happened to me at each of those very ages, starting with the arrival of my brother Rich, who came home from the hospital on my sixth birthday. So whoever associated the winning numbers with my name sure knew what he/she was doing. Perhaps it was someone I met on that brief business trip.

I haven't yet followed up with Mr. Steven Howard to figure out how to collect my total lump sum of £680,000.00 which is way over a cool million in US. Sometimes it works out that the dollar is weak! And I'm guessing is probably tax free, given Lend Lease and all the other great and generous things we did for England at one time or another; let alone given the love-fest between Tony Blair and George W. I'll have to hurry up and claim my prize before Tony leaves the auditorium next month.

Or I could follow up with online co-ordinator Mrs. Elizabeth Grayson. She sounds nice - like a real lady. She's the one who sent me the e-mail letting me know I'd won and offering me congratulations from her and the staff.

I understand that there may be a small amount that I have to send across the pond before I can get my hands on the £680,000.00. Currency conversion fees, shipping and handling, etc. It will certainly be worth it.

According to the letter I got from Lady Grayson (as I'm starting to think of her), Sission Marketing International is the manager of the charity lotteries. Interesting that Lady Grayson, in her haste to inform me of my win, wrote "Sission" not "Sisson", which is the actual name of the company.

And funny (as in funny peculiar, not funny ha-ha), when I checked out Sisson, they have a little disclaimer on their site:

WSCAM ALERT !!!!
If you have been contacted by the British Charities Lotteries Promotions (BCLP), please be aware that this is a scam. Sisson Marketing International Limited is not managing these lotteries. The Gambling Commission and the police have been notified.

So maybe Lady Grayson typed in the name correctly, after all, and that there is a Sission Marketing out there.

In any case, I don't believe that WSCAM AERT!!!! stuff for a New York minute. I mean, all those exclamation points!!!! How hokey and fake is that?????

Tomorrow when the banks are open, I'll be writing to Lady Grayson and/or Steven Howard, who left me his e-mail address at Yahoo, so it's obviously not a scam or he wouldn't have left his e-mail address. How much can they be looking for as a sign of good faith? One percent? A half percent? I'm sure it's not much more than that. And we all know you have to spend money to make money.

I'm really pretty excited, as I sure wasn't expecting to win a lottery I'd never even entered.

And who says there's no such thing as a free lunch?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I recieved the same mail today. The amount was the same and the names were also identical.
It´s the 4th mail of that kind coming into my mailbox within the last 5 weeks. I must be very rich now!!!
Regards F.B. Petersen, Germany

Antillon said...

Hi
I won 1 million US dollars from FreeLottus, 1 million pounds from UK National Lottery, 1.5 million pounds from Irish National Lottery, 1,5 million pounds from British National Lottery and another million pounds from I dont remember what lottery, all in two weeks. I asked myself who listed us in the group of international possible dumbs.

anomonyous said...

HI i got one too.

BRITISH CHARITIES LOTTERY PROMOTIONS UNITED KINGDOM.
We are pleased to inform you of the announcements today of Winners of
the
MEGA JACKPOT LOTTO WINNING PROGRAMS.
Your company or personal e-mail address, is attached to a Ticket number
123-765-90, with a serialnumber 42243-98-01 drew the Lucky Winning
Numbers 06-14-17-28-30-41.You have therefore been awarded the total lump
sum pay out of £1,350,000.00 (British Pounds) credited to File Ref No:
BCLP/ 24-FB-4234243/008UK.

You must contact the claims department by e-mail;
Name: Mr.Steven Howard
Tel: +(44) 703-190-6056
Email: inforclaimsagent2008uk@yahoo.co.uk
Congratulations once again from all our staff for being a part of our
Promotions program.

Mrs.Elizabeth Grayson
Online co-ordinator
The society lotteries are managed by Sisson Marketing International
Limited,certified by the Gambling Commission
ELM Certification 180/3/2.
© Charities Lottery 2008
British Lottery 2008 Winner.




I wonder what will happen. I dont even live in London and have never been there... hmmm...

Anonymous said...

dear readers i am from kabul afghanistan since four years i am recieving such emails from different source most of them from england,that i got a lucky person i won such a big sum,i wonder who are those guys what a benifit will get them so they asked me once to send 1900EU to put to the process my transanction.

Maureen Rogers said...

Dear Kabul Anonymous - and anyone else out there:

Make sure that you DON'T send them any money. Those e-mails are scams trying to steal from you.

Anonymous said...

bwahahaha!!

I just received exactly the same e-mail regarding my lottery win (same amount too), googled Sisson and found your blog...

do these morons think everybody are that stupid?

Anonymous said...

Oim a pikey, it's moin ah tell yer, t-rennyone owt der tinks s' not moine, oil pfight yeh far it, so wa will, oil pfeight yer. Dya loike Dags eh eh Ahv a luvvly Dag ahll sell it tea yer fer de lottry tickit.

Anonymous said...

hello,
just got a mail from them too but the worst thing is that those people stole from my credit card, God only knows how, 300 euros a couple of months ago, so BEWARE of those thieves, and I don´t know either how they got my e-mail but of course with internet nobody is safe....
regards from Spain.

Anonymous said...

From Mexico, Same amount new names:
Gary Antwap with yahoo mail adress. just by opening they might get in your mail, steal info if you buy or pay your card through internet. don´t open, imediately like a virus just eliminate. Too late for my hubbie. now he needs to cancel account.